Friday 27 August 2010

My Blueberry Nights (2007) by Wong Kar-Wai – (4/10)


Up until and including “2046” Wong Kar-Wai had been a pretty consistent and outstanding director. Then he decided to relocate to Hollywood and make his first English-spoken movie. In hindsight it makes a lot of sence that they invited him over, since people had been plagiriazing him for quite a while in Hollywood. Innitially I expected this to have no impact at all upon his work. Then “My Blueberry Nights” came out and I had no idea what happened. “My Blueberry Nights” is simply Wong Kar-Wai-light, it is someone trying to be him not Wong Kar-Wai himself. He was never too preoccupied with stories, rather visuals and moods as a filmmaker but “My Blueberry Nights” was simply too devoid of anything. It went nowhere, the ending didn’t make sence, it was utterly pointless as a roadmovie (me not being all that fond of the genre didn’t help all that much either), it wasn’t all that romantic, didn’t have enjoyable quicks,…
It was too stale, too bland, it was and remains watchable but serves a bit too much of a rminder as to how great his movies before were. Let us hope that this was just a small mistake, he will get his act together soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment