Friday 27 August 2010

Blue Velvet (1986) by David Lynch – (4/10)

I cannot say that I ever really got the appeal of Blue Velvet, I love Dennis Hopper’s, brilliant sex crazed, perverted, gas-huffing character just as much as the next guy. Otherwise I feel that the whole is too bland, unmemorable and frankly “normal”. I find very little appeal, the whole just feels like a sub par, test-drive for the brilliant Twin Peaks series. The idyllic American suburbia coupled with a seedy underbelly and madness are present here as well but in such a dull, standard way that very little of it sticks me as memorable or exiting. I much prefer the sugary, soap-opera style, inhabited by the clinically insane thing that Twin Peaks series had over this. Luckily David Lynch just kept getting better and better over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment